Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Baked Chili with Cornbread Biscuit Topping

This is a recipe which I adapted from La Dolce Vegan, I don't have the book but found the recipe online & thought it looked good.  When I was making the Cornbread I thought it seemed like there was a lot of sugar in it & I did find that it was really sweet.  The topping was still really tasty but if I was too make it again I would at least halve the amount of sugar.  I also found that the chili itself wasn't that great, it seemed to be missing something, but there was supposed to be pickled green chillies added so maybe that might have made a difference.  I think I would make the topping again but change up the chili quite a bit.

INGREDIENTS FOR CHILI

  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 1/2 large red capsicum, diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3/4 cup tvp
  • 400mls passata
  • 1/2 tin kidney beans
  • corn kernels from 1 cob of corn
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 clove crushed garlic


INGREDIENTS FOR TOPPING

  • 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon soy milk
  • 1 tablespoon soymilk or 1 tablespoon almond milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 cup polenta
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil

METHOD


  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Lightly oil or spray with oil 4 ramekins
  2. In a large saucepan saute the onion, capsicum & garlic in the olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add remaining chili ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes.
  3. While chili is cooking mix soy milk and vinegar. In a separate bowl mix the flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  4. Add the oil and the milk mixture, stirring until just mixed.
  5. Transfer chili to ramekins and spoon the cornmeal batter on to the top.
  6. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes.

 

3 comments:

  1. I've gotten super into chili since moving to the States. If you're going for a really flavoursome chili, I'd say up the spices: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper -- even dried herbs. Also some stock of some kind (or you could rehydrate the TVP in stock). Also using a range of beans -- pinto and black beans are both great. If you can be bothered, char-grilling the red capsicum and/or tomatoes adds a lot -- or buy pre-charred, there's some seriously good (and reasonably priced) bottled and canned tomatoes, peppers and capsicum at Casa Iberica in Fitzroy that shits all over even the fancy Italian stuff. They also have loads of good spices.

    Alternatively, a plain chili can be more about the condiments. Avocado, fresh cilantro, crema mexicana (dunno if you can get that in Melbourne -- creme fraiche, if you can't), pickled jaleponos -- even some lime juice. Crumbling up a few corn/tortilla chips adds a good crunchy, salty contrast.

    I also prefer a savoury cornbread. Was the soymilk you use unsweetened? I imagine that would make a lot of difference. I'd also try a more traditional cornmeal-based one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to have to make a trip to Casa Iberica, I have actually never been there but it sounds great. The topping was supposed to have cornmeal in it but I subbed polenta because that is something I always have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in for a treat, then -- just make sure to check ingredients in everything for lard, which is often used in everything from beans to tortillas.

    ReplyDelete