Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gluten free vegan sausage rolls

For Carla's recent Winter Warmer potluck I decided to try de-glutening the famous Where's the Beef sausage rolls.  I actually just bought gluten free pastry & then went to make them & realised that there was quite a bit of gluten in the filling that needed to be changed as well.  Even with the changes that I made these turned out really well & I think they were just as good as the gluteny version.

This is the original recipe ingredients with my substitutions in red, the method can be found in the Where's the Beef post, but basically you just whack everything besides the last 3 ingredients in the food processor, roll in pastry & sprinkle sesame seeds on top then bake until golden brown - easy!

Vegan sausage rolls

125g pecans
stale bread to make ~1/2 cup breadcrumbs 1/2 cup Orgran corn crispy crumbs
1 onion
300g silken tofu
1 cup rolled oats 1 cup cooked quinoa
1 Massel beef-style stock cube
1 teaspoon garlic powder  Crushed garlic

3 tablespoons soy sauce 3 tablespoons tamari
ground pepper, to taste
3-4 frozen puff pastry sheets 3 Pastry Pantry GF pastry sheets
water ofor brushing pastry
sesame seeds

I have blogged about these previously here & some of the other lovely Melbourne bloggers  have blogged about them here, here & here.

11 comments:

  1. mmm! these look like the perfect think to just veg out on in front of the tv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought to use quinoa instead of rolled oats - I bet they tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were just as good as the originals and I could eat them :-) Toby and I were just saying that you always have standout potluck dishes with loads of effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you are K's BFF!!!! And thank you very very very much for making the g/f effort!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica - They would be perfect for that.
    Cindy - I wasn't sure it would work but was all I had & it worked really well.
    K & Toby - Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant believe I missed out AGAIN... (I hve never tasted these works of wonder) guess I just have to make some for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum. I have a box of the organ corn crumbs in the cuboard, they sounded good when I bought them although I had no idea what to use them for :) I really should try making these.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose & Carla - You should make these, they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't Pastry Pantry products contain egg? I'm confused

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon - The shortcrust definitely does, but the rough puff doesn't, the ingredients are:
    Gluten free flour (lentil, rice, amaranth, besan), vegetable fat, starch (maize, tapioca), vegetable gum (415), water added. sugar, raising agent (500)

    ReplyDelete