Friday, January 1, 2010

Muffaletta

I have been dying to go to a potluck forever so was very excited to be invited by Cindy to a potluck in Princes Park. I wanted to make something very picnicky & had no idea, so did a bit of googling & came across great advise such as "don't wear a fur coat to a vegan potluck" (seriously!) & in the end decided to make a muffaletta.

I bought an enormous loaf of bread from La Panella, in hindsight I brought the wrong bread because it was quite chewy, but it still tasted ok. I filled the loaf with:

  • homemade basil & cashew pesto (spread on one side)
  • roasted red capsicum
  • grileld eggplant
  • artichoke hearts
  • kalamata olives
  • baby spinach & rocket
  • tofutti cream cheese with semi dried tomatoes mixed in (spread on the other side)
I made it the night before, wrapped it tightly in cling wrap & weighed it down with a big wooden chopping board & a baking dish.

6 comments:

  1. Don't worry that it might have been the wrong bread - it was still incredibly delicious! I loved it!

    And it was great that you were both able to make it to the picnic! I hope you can both make it to more. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It was awesome. I'm gonna try making this for my kids lunches for school. So full of flavour and delicious veges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was awesome, and the bread was more than fine, I might have a go at making this for dinner on one of the hotter 'I can't be bothered cooking' nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh looks awesome! Will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I wish I had tried this especially when you said it was too chewy - I love chewy bread. I've always wanted to try a mufaletta too

    ReplyDelete