Sunday, August 2, 2009

Food Inc.

I saw Film Inc. at the Melbourne International Film Festival yesterday. I am not sure what I was expecting but I was really, really looking forward to seeing it. I probably should have known that I would be crying through most of it & unable to watch the hideous ways that animals are treated on factory farms.

I think this is a really brave documentary, they talk about the many laws that have been introduced to stop people criticising the enormous food corporations and there is plenty of criticism of them. When I first went vegan I educated myself on the impact that my food choices had. It wasn't easy to learn about what happens to your food before it gets to you but I thought it was important to know the facts. Food Inc. showed these facts quite graphically and also told me things I don't know. It never suggests that the answer is a vegan diet - in fact the word vegan is never even used or even a vegetarian diet, but it does ask that you have an awareness of where your food comes from and that you read labels and that you eat organically - all of which are really positive moves for the average consumer.

Food Inc. is well worth seeing, for how hard it was to watch it was a well made and informative doco. The only shame is the people that should watch it and have an awareness of what buying the cheapest food possible means, probably won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment