- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar (I would only use half a cup next time because it is a very sweet cake)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pineapple juice/water (see below)
- 1/3 cup oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 can pineapple slices in unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup UNPACKED brown sugar (I would leave this out next time as it didn't caramelise like I thought it would so seemed a bit unneccesary)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour juice off can of pineapple into 1 cup measuring cup--it should be about 3/4 cup juice. Add water to make 1 cup. In a separate bowl, combine oil, vinegar and juice.
- Place pineapple slices into the bottom of a 12 inch spring form pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Quickly mix wet ingredients into dry, stirring quickly to combine ingredients well and get out the big lumps. Pour into pan on top of the pineapple/brown sugar mix.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and loosen sides of cake from pan. Remove side ring and place serving plate on top. Flip cake over onto serving plate and remove pan bottom.