The recipe is from taste.com.au & I followed it exactly except that I didn't add the lemon zest when serving.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils
- 3 potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 bunch English spinach, leaves removed, washed, chopped
- 2 lemons, rind finely grated, juiced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft. Add lentils, potatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Use a slotted spoon to skim any residue from surface of soup.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat. Add spinach, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Ladle into bowls. Top with lemon rind. Serve with bread.