Monday, April 4, 2011

Cacao & Orange Balls

Last week when I was at work I was after a snack so headed to the supermarket conveniently located next door & spotted the Emma & Tom's Life Bars.  I have never seen these before but was intrigued so bought the cacao & orange flavour.  This was so good, like a healthy chocolate bar!  It also doesn't have any scary ingredients either, they are - dates, raw cashews, raisins, cacao powder & cold pressed orange oil.


But they are a bit on the pricey side at $2.60 each so I decided to try making my own version to take to work for snacks this week.  I used figs rather than raisins because that is what I bought at the supermarket & used a tiny bit of orange rind because I only had a quarter of an orange.  The orange flavour is not very strong at all but obviously if you use more rind it would be better.  I also decided to make balls rather than bars.  These turned out well, they are just slightly chocolately & I think they will be perfect afternoon snacks at work.

Ingredients(makes 8 balls)

  • 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 7 pitted dates
  • 4 figs
  • 1 1/2 tsp cacao powder
  • orange rind to taste

Method

  1. Throw everything into the food processor & wizz until finely chopped
  2. Roll into balls & refigerate

2 comments:

  1. Um, the mushrooms? Is that an April Fool's Joke, or is this the most creative snack treat ever? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird!! I have no idea where the mushrooms came from but they have now been removed because that would be kinda gross!

    ReplyDelete